Skip to main content

Arlen Spector's number are plummeting, but Joe Hoeffel NEEDS CASH NOW. In the latest Keystone Poll, Specter was only polling at 44% and dropping. Hoeffel is still trails, but is within striking distance and closing fast. Pennsylvania does this. In 2000, Dem. Ron Klink finished with 46% of the vote against Rick Santorum, when he was polling at 35% with less than a week to go in the election. We may never get a better opportunity to dump Specter because he has a challenger on the right who is pulling 7% to 10% of the wingnut vote.

Can he do it in time? Only if WE HELP.

Numbers and goodies below the fold.

From PoliticsPA.com
Reporting just more than $453,000 cash on hand for the third quarter which ended two weeks ago -- compared to $3.2 million for incumbent Sen. Arlen Specter -- Hoeffel's campaign said money continues to come through the door to their headquarters on a daily basis, and fundraisers featuring Sen. Joe Lieberman and former-Sen. Max Cleland will provide a boost in the closing days. ....  [Hoeffel spokeswoman Kristin] Carvell pointed to the primary season where Specter outspent scrappy challenger U.S. Rep. Pat Toomey by a five-to-one margin and "eeked by" with a 1.2 percent margin.

Oh no, not Joementum. Hoeffel has real momentum. Please contribute whatever you can now. Contribute today, so they can buy some ads. ACT, Moveon.org, and the State Democratic Party are on the ground doing massive GOTV. Kerry is going to have coat tails, but Hoeffel needs money to kick it into high gear with TV ads in the next two weeks, now when folks are finally paying attention. The DSCC had all but written this one off until this month.

If you can't contribute because all your cash has gone to other races, then at least recommend this diary so that others will see it.  Last night I had another diary on this that was on the page for a few minutes and it raised almost $700 in that time.

In my own personal pledge drive here, I am offering my own thank you gifts. Anyone who contributes in through this diary, I'll send you the best, most foolproof, most addictive, most perfect brownie recipe ever PLUS a link to an MP3 of John Kerry's high school band, The Electras. Do it now. Do it for President Kerry, so he'll have a Democratic Senate. So donate what you can, and please recommend. Thanks

Update [2004-10-20 11:55:24 by Grassroots Mom]: I come back from my first physical therapy appointment after months flat on my back with back problems and not only is this diary number one, but you've raised $2,660 for the competitive PA races including almost $1,700 for Joe Hoeffel. Way to go! I should leave more often. Thanks and keep it up.

Update [2004-10-20 12:35:48 by Grassroots Mom]: $3,220 for PA candidates and $2,100 for Hoeffel. Great work. Thanks to everyone who has donated and who recommended this diary. Let's see if we can get to $5,000.

Update [2004-10-20 14:36:58 by Grassroots Mom]: 56 contributors. $3,800 for PA candidates with $2,600 for Hoeffel. This is so exciting. I wish we could have a bat.

Update [2004-10-20 17:42:22 by Grassroots Mom]: 66 contributors. $4,300 for PA candidates with over $3,000 for Joe Hoeffel. Way to go!

Update [2004-10-20 20:29:42 by Grassroots Mom]: 75 contributors. $5,000 for PA candiates with $3,400 for Joe Hoeffel. That's five Gs!

Update [2004-10-20 23:51:28 by Grassroots Mom]: 81 contributors. $5,330 for PA Democrats with $3,750 for Joe Hoeffel. Go Redsox.

Update [2004-10-21 2:9:36 by Grassroots Mom]: 85 contributors. $5,500 for PA Democrats with $3,933 for Joe Hoeffel. Can we get to $4,000 before this diary disappears?

Update [2004-10-21 10:9:12 by Grassroots Mom]: 91 contributors. $6,700 for PA Democrats with $4,550 to elect Joe Hoeffel the next Senator from Pennslyvania, and $950 for Ginny, too. Last chance to donate and get goodies.

Update [2004-10-22 1:26:44 by Grassroots Mom]: Final numbers. $7,375 for Joe Hoeffel. $997 for Ginny Schader. $762 for Lois Murphy. $562 for Joe Discoll. Outstanding. Joe Hoeffel called me this evening to express his personal thanks. Thanks to everyone

Originally posted to Grassroots Mom on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 03:51 AM PDT.

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  Recommended... (none)
    But I'm not sure you'll have much luck getting it on the recommended diaries list.  Most people here don't seem to care about Hoeffel.  I put a diary up about this a week or so ago and not many people bother to read or respond to it.

In Britain they admit to having royalty. In the United States we pretend we don't have any, and then we elect them president.

by Asak on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 04:03:44 AM PDT

•  Thanks so much. (4.00)
    Just had a big contribution. We've now raised over $1,200. This is working.
  •  Sometimes all you have to do is ask... (none)
    I too was thinking that we needed a dkos Joe Hoeffel Fundraiser. Thanks for doing this.

We have to rid everyone (from people here to the Phila. Inquirer) of this attitude of Specter inevitability. The worst argument is "the Republicans will keep the senate so we might as well have a moderate there"--dolts! If Joe wins this race it's pretty likely that the Dems will be in the majority...

I'm happy with my $20 of influence

by JMS on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 06:02:43 AM PDT

•  Specter supported Clarence Thomas to the Supremes (none)
      He's no moderate.
      •  Specter also supported Clinton (none)
        in the impeachment battle.

It would be ironic if the Big Dog campaigning for Hoeffel cost Specter his job.

•  Today's Inky says the Big Dog (none)
          is coming to Phila early next week to campaign for JFK.  Joe H needs to be on that dais.

Thanks for the reminder that Joe needs help; just sent a few bucks his way.

•  Not feeling a whole lot of sympathy for Specter (none)
          Yes, occasionally, very occasionally, Specter summons up some shred of integrity.  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
        •  Yes, but now he owes Bush and DeLay too much (none)
          The GOP leadership came swooping in to his rescue Specter in his primary battle, with a last-minute GOTV push that made the difference.  Think he'll be free to push his own moderate line instead of toeing the hard-right party line? Fuhgeddaboutit.
          •  I don't know (none)
            I wouldn't think a Senetor would worry to much about Delay.  Delay doesn't have any real power over him (he can't remove him from committees).  I suspect Delay and Bush didn't support Specter because they agree with him.  They probably figured Spector had a better chance than Toomey of keeping this seat Republican.  The most important vote Spector makes is for First, which Toomey wouldn't have been able to make if he has lost in the general election.
  •  despite the fact that Hoeffel (none)
    pulled ads here after kos's mercs flap, i have still given money.  now its GOTV time, the more we can ride Kerry's coattails the better.  i hope the GOTV we are working on to defeat Bush helps out Hoeffel.

help him out Kossacks, this is one pickup we can assist.

Check out PPipes 42 progressive email lists in one place.

by juls on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 06:13:59 AM PDT

•  what fact? (none)
      what was the "mercs flap?"

I kicked in $25. I saw Hoffel earlier in the year and was quite impressed with the way he held up with a group of angry dems  furious that he had "voted for the war."

•  earlier this year (none)
        kos said of the mercenaries in Iraq who had been killed, disembowled, etc. "I feel nothing for them, screw 'em". This was somewhat early in the history of candidates putting up blogads. Most of the candidates who had put up blogads pulled them, including Hoeffel. Jeff Seemann got a lot of love here by putting up ads because the others had pulled ads. Of course, now it's safe to advertise here again, but at the time the comment itself, and the firestorm it triggered (and believe me, a lot of people here called kos on the comment, so it's not like it was universally beloved or representative of sentiment on this board) caused a lot of hurt feelings. Unfortunately candidates like Hoeffel and Jane Mikidates (sp?) who were caught up in it were given a cold shoulder by kossacks and have never really made it back to the "in crowd" with the people here.

I'm happy with my $20 of influence

by JMS on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 07:30:02 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Newly registered Dems won't split tickets (none)
    I think there will be a considerable coat-tail effect w/new voters.  Most of these folks just want to throw the bums out, and Specter definitely qualifies.
    •  Interesting thought (none)
      And I would venture to guess that you're right. Even more of a reason to make sure we turn out new voters in PA in record proportions.

With massive GOTV by the Dems on the left, and a real challenge from the right, Specter may just be squeezed out.

I love that we're forcing the GOP to defend their own turf in states like PA and even with DeLay. Less money they have to spend on other races that are even more winnable for us.

"George Bush has no strategy for Iraq.  I do." - John Kerry, 9/20/04

by thirdparty on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 07:47:58 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Mojo Joe (none)
    Here's another $25 from Montgomery County, where we know best just what an asset Joe would be in the Senate.
    GO JOE!
  •  Sent $10 to Hoeffel and $10 to Schrader too (none)
    Good idea!
  •  Keep Shoutin' Out for Joe !! (none)
    I want Specter out BAD !
  •  if you give, he will win (none)
    I see a big Dem victory emerging.

The Dems will gain five Senate seats. This should be one of them. Don't underfund Hoeffel. You'll be kicking yourself in the ass when he loses by a point and gets outspent close to 3:1.

If Hoeffel gets the money (only outspent 3:2) he wins this race.

Do you want it bad enough?

•  Chuck Todd and Stu Rothenberg Have No Idea (none)
    Someone mentioned Chuck Todd.

Let me mention Chuck Todd.

He dropped Hoeffel below 2 races (WI, WA) where the Republicans have pulled national support.

On the other hand, the DSCC have given $500,000 to Hoeffel.

The ONLY state with an interesting Senate race that Al Gore won ... Pennsylvania.

Oh, and Philadelphia just got 200,000 new Democratic registrants.

2 polls in the last weeks have shown Hoeffel cutting Specter's lead by half. The one poll that showed a blowout DID NOT INCLUDE CLYMER.

Jim Clymer is the 3rd party candidate on the right who will continue the Pennsylvania tradition of siphoning off 5-12% of the vote from anti-choice voters.

Hoeffel can use more $$ ... but the FEC numbers are wildly misleading, as they don't take into account the fact that Specter held off buying his TV until the last possible moment.

The other day, Rothenberg said Hoeffel was in a "deep freeze" ... his source must be Chuck Todd.

Maybe Stu's next column will be based on facts.

•  old people are cool... (none)
    I dropped off a bunch of flyers/envelopes/stamps today at a local retirement community and the elders there will be writing letters & mailing them to 125 people who voted for Gore in 2000 but who have supported Specter in the past.  Those are the people who just need to hear about Hoeffel and then this one will be in our column...

And by the way, Grassroots Mom is a great local resource for us! (I still have your card table from the Dean tabling and promise to drop it off soon!)

"The government is us, you and me." - TR

by Chance the gardener on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 08:14:24 AM PDT

•  Go Grassroots Mom! (none)
    As a former Pennsylvanian (grew up in heavily GOP Lancaster County--had to get the hell out of there!), I am SOOO pulling for Joe.  I'm gonna go give him a few bucks again (gave him $25 yesterday) because he can do this.
  •  I need some letters (none)
    I want to sell my family on this race so I need some reasons that Specter is such a pill. Short and not too strident is the ticket - anyone got a good description? I don't know Specter well so I'm ill equipped to write this so how about posting a couple of letters aimed at people who've never heard of this race?
  •  Specter-Kerry (none)
    While canvessing I ran across some people for Kerry and Specter, I asked the first guy if he's followed Specters votes lately and when he said no I told him Specters been voting with Bush for that last couple of years and got a shrug, the next lady I mentioned Specter has been voting with Santorum.  HUGE response!  That is my new line...Specter=Santorium,it works wonders.
    •  in case people (none)
      think that if Kerry wins, we'll all become complacent, let us remember that 2006 will be upon us soon enough, and that is the next opportunity to get Santorum out of office. If we can field a halfway decent candidate, (one who's pro-choice, for goodness sake) I can see that being the marquee event of the year. Do you suppose he's smart enough to realize what a target he has on his back now?

I'm happy with my $20 of influence

by JMS on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 09:30:53 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Not to get ahead of ourselves (none)
        CW has it that's why Barbara Hafer switched her party to D recently.  Hafer v. Santorum would be delicious.  She's won repeatedly statewide; and Santorum is universally reviled.

But that's a fight for 2006.

•  If he doesn't, he's stupid (none)
        But word on the street is that he's kind of a dim bulb, so.

I probably won't be living in PA when 2006 rolls around, but I am going to do everything I possibly can to get that guy kicked out.

This space for rent.

by YT on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 10:08:47 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  asdf (none)
        As far as I am concerned pretty much any candidate is better than crazy Santorium! A couple of years ago he was keynote speaker at my sons graduation where he made it a political speech and then when on to say the worst thing with America today is parents letting their children have ideals! I do not think he realizes there is a target on his back, his God wouldn't permit that!  From a person who has never been involved in politics before, I know I will be out fighting for the next couple of years, since my main goal (after Nov 2) is to get Santorium OUT!
  •  Go for it! (none)
    For a short time I tried to push the idea that the Arlen Specter who voted against Bork had been kidnapped and an evil pod person was released in his place:  Spectorum, who votes lockstep with Santorum.  Never got very far, but I had a few chuckles.
  •  Good idea ... (none)
    You can tell them about the TV ad Santorum did for Arlen in the primary where he called Specter the "key vote" for Bush's tax cuts for millionaires.

Specter's ticket splitting strategy is not a winning one this year.

Dem voters will be well informed in the booth.

Keep up the good work!

•  get me a Kerry pill box (none)
    and I'll make a contribution!
  •  O.K. (none)
    You got $25.  Thanks for your hard work and hope your back is better.  Must be from all the heavy lifting :)
  •  The way I see it (none)
    There are so many senate candidates in close races, and they all need money. If I had to make a list of which senators are most important to contribute to Hoeffel would be at the bottom of the list. I'd be more concerned about keeping a lunitic like Coburn out of the senate then a more moderate Republican like Spector. Besides, Hoeffel has run a poor campaign if it took him till late October to get within 10 pints in a blue state.
    •  Why can't we do both? (none)
      We can all only bet on sure things like the DSCC and end up with what we have now. That's "playing not to lose". Or we can reach down, give a little more and "play to win".

Pennslyvania is not a blue state. Yes Gore won in 2000, but then Santorum got reelected in 2002. There is a lot of PA between Philly and Pittsburgh and It's red. I know because I live in the middle of it.

•  I respectfully disagree (none)
        Even California has Orange County and a Republican governor.

Pennsylvania is a blue state.

Gore won. Rendell won. Kerry will win. Klink was terrible and still managed to pull 46%.

We won the 2003 statewide judicial elections.

We have a strong (and getting stronger) voter registration advantage ... I don't just mean old time pro-life, pro-gun Casey Dems ... I mean 200,000 new Dems in Philly alone.

We are a blue state.

Even though your neighborhood may be red, the numbers are there.

For the DSCC not to recognize this is dismaying at best - devastating at worst.

Keep up the fight, GM ... you're the reason we're getting bluer every day!

•  Depends where you live (none)
          Pennsylvania is still mostly red.  Yes, we vote for Democratic Presidential candidates (and even then only closely) but that's it.  We have two Republican Senators (including a wingnut), a Republican Congressional delegation and two Republican chambers of the state legislature.
          Look at 2002, we sent Rendell to Harrisburg only because he was so insanely popular here in the Southeast.  But people ticket split and he's spent two years getting his lunch fed to him by John Perzel.  Come down here to Delaware County (where I'm working on a race) and being a Democrat is a sin - not just in rural areas but in urban areas like Marcus Hook.
          Now, is Pennsylvania going to eventually turn blue?  Absolutely, we're moving that way now.  But until people stop ticket splitting this still isn't blue.  That's why we need money out here in the Red suburbs for Joe Hoeffel and Lois Murphy and Paul Scoles and all our State Legislature candidates.
          •  People think PA is (none)
            Philly and Pittsburgh and some Amish farms in between. It's not. It's NASCAR, KKK rallies, homophobic, NRA, and evangelicals once you get away from those cities.
          •  I do a lot of work (none)
            in Delco as a staff member for a union -- just came back this afternoon from a stewards and officers meeting at my biggest local, where 14 or so out of 17 local leaders are Republicans.  Some are ideological, but most are GOP because they really believe that if you call your local town hall to complain about something -- say, a clogged sewer drain or a broken street light -- the town hall will check your voter reg and, if you not a Republican, they'll blow you off.  People really believe this, and I think it might be true.  Still, this makes them loyal to the GOP and generally makes them reliable votes.

Choose your enemies wisely -- for they are the ones you will imitate most.

by Pesto on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 04:27:32 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  this is my experience (none)
              of Delco as well. I don't understand why it doesn't piss people off.
            •  yes and no (none)
              My father used to be registered Republican here in Delco for years for very similar reasons; not a loyal or reliable vote by any means.

Even my mother, who is a diehard liberal and a frequent Kerry volunteer, was registered Republican at one point so that she could vote in the primaries (since school board elections were absolutely always won by Republicans, and she wanted to be able to vote for the lesser bastard).

But things are changing in the Philly suburbs, which are not so heavily Republican as they used to be -- although, alas, I'm afraid you will still see a fair amount of Kerry-Specter spilt tickets.

And my mother complains she hasn't seen enough of Hoeffel on TV.  Thus the importance of this diary and of Atrios's continuous Hoeffel campaigning.

•  Not to pick a nit ... (none)
        Santorum was re-elected in 2000 despite Gore taking the state.  Unfortunately very few in the SE part of the state knew Klink at all.

I agree there's a lot of Alabama between Phila & P'burgh, but those urban and suburban regions are growing and they're growing blue. It's looking like PA-13 is staying blue and we have a good chance to flip PA-6 and PA-8 blue.

btw GrM, thanks for the brownie recipe.

•  I'm in (none)
    I gave $25 to Hoeffel. Good luck Joe!

i was just to stubborn to every be governed by enforced insanity ...

by iSiS on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 09:49:45 AM PDT

•  I've been down on Hoeffel... (none)
    ...since I moved to PA, because his campaign seemed to be stagnating. I am super-glad to see him finally make the progress he should have been making all along. I'm pretty broke now and can't contribute, but (barring catastrophe) I will be going to Hoeffel's Philly HQ this weekend to stuff envelopes.

And it is totally cool that you personally have managed to raise so much money today, just by posting a diary! You rock!

This space for rent.

by YT on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 10:14:27 AM PDT

•  This is just a tiny note (none)
      but I was impressed about one thing about their campaigning. My husband and I have different last names and have given money to the campaign separately. For a while we were getting 2 mailers--one for each of us. Lately, when we were called, and when we got mail, it was only once and adressed to both of us. The letter was even addressed, Dear JMS and Mr. JMS: So somebody went through the database and consolidated us, saving the campaign time and postage. That's a good operation.

I'm happy with my $20 of influence

by JMS on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 10:25:19 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Michael J. Fox Commercials in PA (none)
    Have him praising Specter for the work he's done on Stem Cell research.

Just wanted to let people know.  I've only seen it once, but it will play well in this Blue state.

It's going to be an uphill climb, but we can do it!!!

"Serving" Neocons since 1979

by Johnny Nobody on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 10:14:57 AM PDT

•  thanks for the motivation (none)
    . . . just got my PA parents to donate $$

And even if Hoeffel doesn't quite make it this year, there is always Santorum in '06.  Joe will inarguably be the moderate in that race.

•  No way on Hoeffel in '06 (none)
      If you've got Barabara Hafer running on Senator-Man-Dog's ass, you better let her run.  She is extremely popular in PA, was back when I lived there in '94, still is, and I guarantee she'll have Santorum wiping Barak Obama's Senatorial bum...OK sorry they're not related but I couldn't resist.
      •  Cross My Fingers (none)
        I'd love to see Hoeffel take this one and Hafer run over Santorum in '06.  The advantage Hafer will have which Hoeffel didn't have in this election is that everyone in the state knows who she is.
  •  put in $80 (none)
    - but through Atrios' contribution page as he's been pulling for Hoeffel forever and I wanted to help his  "Hundred for Hoeffel" effort.
    But you get kudos for reminding me to do it! Thanks!
  •  Calling all Brownstone Brooklynites (none)
    At least 2 different groups are going to PA on Saturday for GOTV.  Let's help out with those coattails! (If you're interested, contact councilmembers Yassky or DiBlasio.)
  •  I sent the Hoeffel campaign (none)
    a note so that they know what you all did here today. Thanks.
    •  Oh, Believe Me, We Know (none)
      And we are thrilled, and we are grateful to all of you, but especially you.

This campaign is at a tremendous moment, and we have thirteen days to seal the deal with the people of Pennsylvania.

Thanks for all your help.

•  Alright, I'm in for 25.01. (none)
    Can't resist the sweet combo of a foolproof brownie recipe along with the rich, chocolatey possibility of a Spector defeat.

It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation.

by martianchronic on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 05:05:36 PM PDT

•  Don't knock Joementum (none)
    Oh no, not Joementum.

One of the reasons the Arlen has been able to win consistantly is that he polls extremely well with the large Jewish vote in Philly and it's suburbs, a vote that otherwise goes solidly democratic (ca. 80%).  If Joementum can increase Hoeffel's margins in Philly, it might just be what put's him over the top.

"Men...think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one." - Charles MacKay

by mstein on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 05:22:26 PM PDT

•  Add $195.01 to the till (none)
    Now officially up over the $5,000 mark.  Also a very nice donation per person.

Speaking of redistricting, if the S. Ct. allows the Texas redistricting...Dems should gerrymander Republicans out of existence in Illinois, etc.  Sauce for the goose and all.

•  Well (none)
      Being from Massachusetts, where, after all, the gerrymander was invented, I can report:  Done.  The sheer brilliance, and gall, of lumping GOP-leaning Fitchburg/Leominster into the rock-solid progressive western Mass 1st CD, and pulling them out of the more tenuous 3rd CD, guarantees that Jim McGovern can hold the 3rd forever (that's one of the few CDs in Mass. where a Republican has won in living memory.)  At least until we have to redistrict again after the 2010 census, you can count on an entirely Dem Mass. House delegation.
  •  I gave because I don't want to wake up Nov 3rd.... (none)
    ...and find that I didn't do enough to help take back my country.  I gave to Hoeffel, Schrader and Murphy and it really feels good to "ca-jing" [insert sound of old cash register]!

And on a positive note:  my partner's parents are real, right-wing conservatives and are voting for Jim Clymer.  That's two less votes for Arlen!

GO DEMS!

•  Yard Sign (none)
    If anyone from the Hoeffel campaign is reading, I'm trying to get a Hoeffel yard sign for my mother in the Pittsburgh area.  I've emailed twice, but no one at the Hoeffel campaign has answered my email.  I may just suggest that she paint one herself.
  •  $50 more (none)
    Just threw $50 in the pot - my credit card is really starting to bloat, but what the hell
  •  Is that all? (none)
    Despite Spector's perfomance at the Clarence Thomas hearings, he's by far not the worst offender in the Republican Party. Of all the Republican senators, he, and the three New Englanders (that would be Maine and Rhode Island, not New Hampshire) are the most moderate wing of the party with outright liberal social outlook. I suspect that if the Senate is close again (within 1 or tied) one of them will finally jump ship like Jeffords. Desperate or not, there are more important senatorial campaigns to spend you donation money on, like KY and NC.

Buck

•  Reasons (none)
      Why is the fact that Specter isn't as much of a wingnut as Tom Coburn or Orrin Hatch a reason not to support Joe Hoeffel?  Hoeffel's a better candidate and he has a real chance of winning this election.  To my mind, those are sufficient reasons to support him.
      •  Money (none)
        I may agree with you about the monetary priorities, all things considered, but I'm tired of giving Rockefeller Republicans a pass because they're not as bad as Republicans in other states.  These are states which should be represented by Democrats.  We should be fighting hard to get them.
    •  Specter is beatable (none)
      And we need to take back the Senate. Why settle for a Republican who isn't as bad as some when you could have a real Democrat and a majority. Specter occasionally votes against his party, but not that often. Don't kid yourself.
    •  I think you're wrong... (none)
      I'd rather have a real Democrat like Hoeffel than a crappy Dino like Salazar or Carson.  Only going after seats in deep red states is a mistake because it will end up pulling the whole party to the right.

by Asak on Wed Oct 20, 2004 at 11:06:53 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Specter not a wingnut (none)
      It's true, he's not an idealogue gooper, but he knows which way the wind blows.  With Bush in office, he's definitely leaned right of where he sat through the Clinton years.   Would he be less of a problem in a Kerry presidency than a Bush one? Absolutely.  But if we don't succeed in putting a genuine, hardworking progressive like Joe into the Senate, then we still accomplish alot by fighting hard.  By making Specter work for it, by making it clear that his run to the right hurt him with the rising blue tide in the state, we pull him more firmly back to the center.   We make it clear to him that these four years will not be allowed to continue.  And finally, yes, we give statewide name recognition to a genuine, hardworking progressive with a bright future.  If not Santorum, pick the next target.
      Montco says GO JOE.
  •  Just saw.... (none)
    Hoeffel at the Kerry rally in Pittsburgh and while I'm voting for him no matter what and didn't necessarily need to be impressed = count me as impressed.

He was an exciting speaker from the stage, made some very good points, I'm sure I wasn't the only one impressed, and he noted that:

Specter has voted with the Prez 89% of the time!!!

Can you beieve that?  ANYONE voting for Specter is voting for Bush.  its that simple.  And after seeing Arlen on Air Force 1 with Bush and hugging him / bowing down to his eminence = I SHUDDER to think what he's promised to the BC04 crowd.

Forget Specter.  We need to throw him out lest we have two senators that are nothing more than a rubber stamp for the Repugnicans.

Go Hoeffel!!!!!!!!!!

(btw, I've never volunteered for a campaign and done much in the way for a single candidate BUT  I've already promised myself that whoever runs against Santorum in 06 will get me full time for free.  seriously, I will arrange my life so as to to do everything I can to deny that scum another term)

•  Made it Home (none)
    before the diary slipped off the Recommended List! $20.01 into the pot, and this after I SWORE to myself I was through contributing money. Someone wrote above, I dont wanna wake up Nov 3 wondering if my last little donation mightve made a difference, but I was too stingey to give it up.

SOOO, I am GIVIN' IT UP for Hoeffel and Grassroots Mom!

"Hypocrisies shine like cat turds in the moonlight!" - Garrison Keillor

by RNinNC on Thu Oct 21, 2004 at 05:59:07 AM PDT

Els, David Nir, Leslie in CA, thirdparty, Bob Johnson, Hamburglar, Jeff in PA, bink, Passing Shot, Lestatdelc, The Cunctator, shux, Mary Mary, Doug in SF, buffalo soldier, pilgrim99, DeminNewJ, Go Vegetarian, KeithH, veganpa, Katydid, kid oakland, YT, Chance the gardener, SWicklund, sarahinwi, daunte, JMS, jab, Sean Robertson, Tug, James Benjamin, Asak, whometense, centurysux, musing graze, Savage, TealVeal, Grand Poobah, Forbes, dmauer, Kelk, Emcee, bluecayuga, charlesdog12, Cal4Clark, mstein, cwkraus4clark, jandsm, jjbman1121, Trendar, cracklins, procyon, gogol, uberblonde, Caelian, Adam B, zonk, WhenOppositesAttack, neodem, jev, beartums, katerina, DelRPCV, HippoRider, El Payo, Corax, meb, Rolfyboy6, chaz, esherard8, vancookie, ScientistMom in NY, existenz, PADem20, juls, lumpy gravy, Paul Rosenberg, Winger, jjc4jre, Ace Broderick, surfbird007, aschocken, Emerson, ortcutt, naderhader, Conshieguy, mediocrityrules, Sui Juris, wintersnowman, scottmaui, spoooky, Dr Dive, theron, martianchronic, uffdalib, supergoldie, CrackRabbit, Ugluks Flea, MD in MA, jonathan SF, Todd Gaines, fricky00, ZoBai, jsmdlawyer, InterestedBystander, Rat, ashke, DFWmom, HarlemUSA, hotshotxi, mpearl, seighin, debstevens, lilorphant, MrSnrub, eebrag, Erin, twistandshout, bumblebums, 8051FSW, exNYinTX, Poika, editman, dj1s, GreekGirl, TGos, Jenna M, TexasDemocrat, master94, sardonyx, chipoliwog, unterhausen, NannyR, Louie, evilpie, onoekeh, GT, DemInGeorgia, randym77, CatM, Astrea, Ted W, prairie, Athenian, Sjoerd, Wee Mama, berith, brooklynben, The Mockingbird, bluesquid, rogue409, Catriana, citizen kilroy, Aldhelmus, srkp23, lilithvf1998, Partisan Pete, lynne1, demokath, incandenza88, xola, lunacat, BornAgainLiberal, everclear, Norcal Lib

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site